Sunday, November 23, 2008

Consider this when choosing who to work with...

I got a call today from a disillusioned member of my organization who apparently thought that by joining my marketing team, that just by association alone, that she would automatically become successful in her own enterprise.

After listening to her share some of her concerns about how nobody was doing anything to build her business for her, I had to explain some things:

Here's what I told her:

"Mary (not her real name), I work with people who:

A) Call me
B) Show Up
C) Take Action

Let me explain.

A - I work with those who stay in contact with me regularly.

Based on how often I hear from them, when they call, I might take their call LIVE, or let it go to voicemail, based on their history of calls to me, their purpose of calling and whether or not I am busy at the time.

Oftentimes, if I'm available, I will answer the phone simply to find out what they want.

I do my best to answer very quickly or set an appointment for them to call me back at a designated time that will work for both of us.

You see, I prioritize my time based on how long it will require for me to assist them.

Most of the time, I simply refer them to whichever resource will answer their question or show them how to do something that they are looking to accomplish.

Just like a good attorney who doesn't know all the laws - just where to find them, neither do you have to know every answer to people's questions - just where to direct them to find them on their own.

Remember, if you are a problem solver for everyone, you breed co-dependency into your organization and will never have a team of leaders - only followers.

B - I work with those who regularly show up.

This means that they show up on conference calls, webinars and at events. It could be a local event they attend or a large International Convention.

Those who show up, grow up. And so I do not baby those who come up with multiple excuses about why they can't attend, because I know that its never that they "can't"; it's that they just "won't".

Remember, people can either make excuses or money, but never both.

C - I work with people who take action.

This action could be bringing on new customers or distributors or consultants, but here is what working with people who take action really means:

They take action without having to consult you every time they do!

They just do it. And sometimes they are successful and sometimes not.

But these are people who know that the fortune is in the action that they take every day. Even if it doesn't look like they are winning on the outside, they know that they are winning on the inside and that soon enough, the results of their effort will show.

These are people who are not afraid to fail or make a mistake and who are willing to be bad before they become good.

This person must have a healthy enough self esteem to take some punches and get knocked down a time or two, in order to learn what doesn't work, and then do what does.

So, to wrap up this post, these are the things I consider when choosing who to work with.

Who do you like to work with?

Post your comments below and let's continue this discussion.

Aaron